openEO - Concepts and API Reference
Work in progress, please contribute by adding issues.
The following pages introduce the core concepts of the project. Make sure to introduce yourself to the major technical terms used in the openEO project by reading the glossary.
The openEO API defines a HTTP API that lets cloud back-ends with large Earth observation datasets communicate with front end analysis applications in an interoperable way. This documentation describes important API concepts and design decisions and gives a complete API reference documentation.
As an overview, the openEO API specifies how to
- discover which Earth observation data and processes are available at cloud back-ends,
- execute (chained) processes on back-ends,
- run user-defined functions (UDFs) on back-ends where UDFs can be exposed to the data in different ways,
- download (intermediate) results as web services, and
- manage user content including accounting.
The API is defined as an OpenAPI 3.0 JSON file.
openEO, A Common, Open Source Interface between Earth Observation Data Infrastructures and Front-End Applications is a H2020 project funded under call EO-2-2017: EO Big Data Shift, under proposal number 776242. It will run from Oct 2017 to Sept 2020.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 776242. The contents of this website reflects only the authors’ view; the European Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it provides.